Prof. Schuster initiated and opened in 2010 in Pöllau, Styria, the first European Center for the History of Physics 'ECHOPHYSICS' as well as the 'Victor Franz Hess Society', which he founded in 2007. From 2007 to 2017, he chaired the 'History of Physics' group of the European Physical Society (EPS). He founded the 'History of Physics' section of the Austrian Physical Society (ÖPG) in 2006 and chaired it until 2015. On his initiative, the biennial conference series ‘International Conference on the History of Physics’ was established in 2014 (see 'Symposia').
Born in Vienna on October 26, 1939, Schuster studied history, Japanese studies, mathematics and physics at the University of Vienna and received his doctorate in physics in 1967. After a one-year fellowship in literature in 1968, he began his industrial career as head of marketing at Carl Zeiss in Oberkochen, Germany. In 1976 he built up his own trading company in Germany and in 1982 founded the industrial company 'AOL-Dr. Schuster - Analytik, Optik, Lasertechnik' in Vienna.
Schuster received the 'Golden Medal of Merit of the Province of Salzburg' in 2004, the 'Great Medal of Honor of the Province of Styria' in 2016, the 'Badge of Honor of the Market Town of Pöllau' in 2018 and the 'Medal of Honor in Silver of the Municipality of Pöllauberg' in 2012. In 2016, he was awarded the title Professor. Schuster was a member of the scientific advisory board of the Christian Doppler Fund in Salzburg (since 1999 and member of the board of trustees since 2014), a member of the Austrian P.E.N. Club (since 2000) and the Austrian Writers' Association (since 2014), a member of Academia Europaea (since 2009), and an honorary member of the ÖPG (since 2019).
Following his sudden death on December 26, 2019, he is survived by his wife, Dr. Lily Wilmes, and their three sons and two sons and a daughter from his first marriage.